Presentations: Below are some presentations I have given to libraries and genealogy organizations. All but the most recent were done in connection with my work as a genealogist and head of the Local History and Genealogy Department at the Onondaga County Public Library in Syracuse, New York. (Many of these are older and the information contained within them is dated, websites have changed and URL’s no longer link to the correct sites.)
- Central New York Genealogical Society (CNYGS) Presentation – 22 September 2018
Family Search and the scanning of OCPL’s historical book collection finding Books Online at FamilySearch –Handout – one-page guide to using www.books.familysearch.org
Powerpoint in 2 parts
Family Search Scanning part 1
Family Search Scanning part 2
- New York Genealogical and Biographical Society Webinar – 10 October 2017
Family History Research in Central New York
Webinar available online for NYG&B members
- Marcellus Free Library February 2017
Genealogy Resources at the Onondaga County Public Library (This is the most current iteration of this frequent presentation).
- New York State Family History Conference – 17 September 2016 – Liverpool, New York
Sponsored by CNYGS and New York Genealogical & Biographical Society.
Resources at the Onondaga County Public Library
Roundtable Discussion – When to ask an archivist, town historian or librarian for help with your genealogy.(Handouts not available)
Dewitt Community Library – 15 March 2016
The Internet of Genealogy (I was often asked to do a presentation about “doing your genealogy online” – this is one iteration of that type of program I would frequently do.)
Newspapers and the Genealogist – 23 June 2014
New York Archives Annual Conference, Nazareth College, Rochester, NY, 7 June 2012
“Uncovering Genealogical Records in Archives”
- Introduction to Genealogy: Or How to Grow Your Family Tree (This presentation was given at several county library locations between 2011 and 2012)
- Onondaga County Public Library, Staff Development Day – 21 June 2011
Genealogy Resources at the Onondaga County Public Library. Or, Why Go to the Library When
I’ve Got Google?
- CLRC Library Assistant’s Day – 3 November 2009
Helping Patron’s Find Their Roots
- What’s New in the Local History and Genealogy Department? (An early example of this presentation that I did frequently – this one was done in 2006.
- Irish American Cultural Institue, Syracuse, NY 5 October 2005
Technology in Genealogy – how to search the newspaper archives
Handout not available.